Permeable concrete (Pervious concrete) is constructed in a way that allows water to pass directly through from the top surface to the bottom. Rainwater is therefore returned to the natural environment in the subgrade allowing soils to recharge. Permeable concrete is:
- Hard wearing and sturdy
- Cost effective
- Available in any colour
- Easily maintained
- Fast to construct
- Good for the environment
- Reduces run-off from sites
- Prevents hydrocarbons, heavy metals and other contaminants from entering stormwater systems
- Returns the moisture to the ground, benefiting the immediate environment
- Reduces the impact of the development on trees by allowing water and air to the root system
- Reduces the demand for public stormwater infrastructure
- Prevents ponding
- Reduces water flow rates
New Zealand’s urban environment is rapidly growing, increasing the amount of land areas becoming paved with roads, footpaths and carparks. At the same time the number of consecutive days of heavy rain has increased by 50% causing problems for our city’s infrastructure. Permeable concrete prevents contaminated stormwater from flooding our natural waterways and from damaging infrastructure.
Benefits & Uses
Pervious concrete is an environment friendly building material EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has identified it as a Best Management Practice (BMP) for storm water management.
LOW LIFE COST
Concrete pavements have a significantly lower life cycle cost than alternatives such as asphalt. Although the initial cost of installation may be slightly higher, concrete saves money in the long run due to its superior durability and strength. It requires fewer repairs than asphalt, and has a longer overall lifespan as well.
It is economical and can be used an alternative to costly storm water management methods.
REDUCE UNTREATED DISCHARGE
Reduce the amount of untreated runoff discharging into storm sewers
- Siteworks is the only contractor recommended by major concrete suppliers in NZ to perform pervious concrete jobs.
- Siteworks crew is highly skillful and experienced in this area to take on jobs with confidence
- We also have specialised equipments to get the best results
- Siteworks was presented the “MOST INNOVATIVE” award for the Stillwater Pervious concrete parking bay project in 2015 by New Zealand Master Concrete Placers Association (MCPA)